All fields are required.

Close Appointment form

Firearms Division

Revere Police Department
Firearms Division
400 Revere Beach Pkwy
Revere, MA 02151



Due to the current evolving situation regarding Coronavirus, the Revere Police Department will be taking steps to limit unnecessary activities within the building. For this reason, the following changes regarding the Firearms Licensing process will be in place until further notice:




Email Sgt. Turner at [email protected] or call his office line at 781-656-1134. He will send you a list of items which you will need to obtain and send into him via mail. He will start the processing of your license at that time. The fingerprint process will be delayed until a later date.



Renewal applications will only be accepted through mail until further notice. Any current Revere LTC holder who is due to expire within 3 months may send his/her completed LTC Renewal Application to Sgt Turner at the below address.

Revere Police Department

Attn: Sgt Joseph Turner

400 Revere Beach Parkway

Revere, MA 02151


Ensure that the application is COMPLETE and a 100 dollar check (made out to City of Revere) is included with the application. To further help with communication, please write your email in the top right corner of the application. Once Sgt Turner receives your application in the mail, he will begin processing your renewal at that time. Any LTC/FID holder who is due to expire within 2 weeks should contact Sgt Turner immediately via telephone. You can contact Sgt Turner via email at [email protected] or call his office line at 781-656-1134.


The Mass LTC Application can be found online at:




Renewal applicants do not need an appointment. The following are open office hours :





All new applications are handled by appointment only. New applicants must contact Off. Turner to schedule an appointment.

[email protected]



Appointments are available outside of our open office hours on a case by case basis. Please contact Officer Turner at 781-656-1134 to set up an appointment. Please leave your name, phone number and email address in the voicemail.



Sgt. Joseph Turner

New Applicant Checklist

If you are applying for an LTC for the first time, please refer to the list below detailing the required documents for application.


  • Completed and signed Massachusetts Resident LTC/FID Application
  • Basic Firearm Safety Course certificate
  • Massachusetts Driver’s license
  • Birth Certificate or Passport
  • Proof of residence (voter registration or 2 pieces of mail)
  • Nationalization paperwork (if applicable)
  • $100 dollar non-refundable application fee (Check or money order only)
  • 3 letters of recommendation (please refer to below instructions link for specifics)



Renewal Applicant Checklist

If you are applying to renew your LTC.


  • Completed and signed Massachusetts Resident LTC/FID Application
  • Completed and signed Mass LTC/FID Affidavit
  • Massachusetts Driver’s License and current LTC
  • $100 dollar non-refundable application fee


For detailed information regarding the above mentioned items, please click on the “Instructions” tab below.


Welcome to the Revere Police Firearms Division page. The Firearms Division is part of the Bureau or Records and Identification and is charged with maintaining records related to firearms licensing and transfers.

If you are looking to renew a license or permit, or just want some information, please read the attached document: Gun Permit requirements and FAQs

*Firearms applications cannot be mailed. All applicants must deliver paperwork in hand to Off. Turner

General Information

How to apply for a Licence to Carry (LTC) and Firearms Identification (F.I.D.) Card

License to Carry (L.T.C.)

A License to Carry (L.T.C.) permits it’s bearer to legally purchase and carry a firearm in the State of Massachusetts. A LTC permits the holder to possess any weapon which would be allowed with an FID Card, as well as additional weapons depending on the Class of License. CLICK HERE for application

Firearms Identifiaction (F.I.D.) Card

A Firearms Identifiaction (F.I.D.) Card is issued by the State of Massachusetts and permits it’s bearer to:

  • Legally purchase and store weapons in your home (if combined with a Permit to Purchase said firearm)*

An FID card application must be completed and returned to your home town police department. If you are a resident of Revere, you can print a copy of the FID application and return it to Lt. Mangino Thursdays 9am – 3pm.

For more specific information on FIDs refer to our Instructions and MGL page

* A F.I.D. card does not permit the bearer to carry a weapon on his or her person. If this is purpose, please see “License to Carry (LTC)”.




Requirements for obtaining a License to Carry (LTC) and a Firearms Identification Card (FID)

  • All applicants must be a resident of Revere or the owner of a business located in Revere.


  • Proof of Residency (all are required):
  • Massachusetts driver’s license (current Revere address). If your driver’s license is from another State, you must apply for a nonresident license with the Firearms Record Bureau located at 200 Arlington St, Suite 2200, Chelsea, MA
  • Passport and/or birth certificate
  • Voter registration card or (2) pieces of current mail / bills containing your name and current address (original copies are required), and
  • Naturalization certificate (if applicable)


  • You must submit a Certificate of Completion for a Massachusetts approved Basic Firearms Safety Course (For LTC or FID) or a Certificate of Completion of a Hunting Safety Course issued by the Massachusetts Division of Fisheries and Wildlife (For FID only). You must submit the original copy.


  • Three (3) letters of recommendation: Letters must be typed and contain the reference’s name, address, occupation and phone numbers (work and home). References can not be a family member. Reference must be of good moral character and must have known you for at least five (5) years (i.e. teacher, employer, police officer, etc.). Letters must state that they understand you are applying for either a license to carry firearms or an FID card.  Also, letters must contain the reference’s original signature.


  • The fee for a license to carry (LTC) or firearms identification card (FID) is $100.00. This fee is non-refundable.  Payments are to be made by Check or Money order made payable to the City of Revere.  Cash, debit and credit cards are NOT accepted.



  • Applications will not be processed if all requirements are not met.


  • Applications must be dropped off in person to Off Turner. Please be advised applications that are dropped off or mailed to the station without seeing Off Turner will not be processed.


Is a license required to possess an air gun (i.e. bb or pellet guns, so-called air rifles or air pistols, paint ball guns) or ammunition therefore (i.e. bb's, pellets, CO2 cartridges, paint balls)?

An FID Card is not required to possess an air gun in Massachusetts. Air guns are regulated by M.G.L. c. 269, %uFFFD12B which limits their use by minors who are not accompanied by an adult, holding a sporting or hunting license, or holding a permit from the chief of police. Massachusetts law also prohibits anyone from discharging air rifles from across streets, alleys, public ways or railroads or railway right of ways. It should also be noted that an FID Card or an LTC are not required to purchase an air gun or ammunition. As such, the state FA10 form should not be used to record the sale of such air guns.

Can a nonresident obtain a permit to carry a weapon in Massachusetts?

M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD 131F allows the Colonel of the State Police or his designee to issue a temporary LTC to nonresidents or persons not falling within the jurisdiction of a local licensing authority. Currently, the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) has been designated to issue permits to nonresidents. The phone number of the FRB is (617) 660-4780.

Do I need an FID Card or an LTC Firearms to possess a gun in my home?

Yes. At a minimum you need an FID Card for non-large capacity rifles and shotguns. For handguns you need either an LTC,, or an FID Card combined with a Permit to Purchase firearms for the particular handgun in question.

Should a valid holder of an LTC renew their FID Card based upon notification from the Criminal History Systems Board that the FID card is about to expire?

Not necessarily. An individual with an LTC is not required to maintain an FID Card also, although an individual may hold both. An LTC permits the holder to possess any weapon which would be allowed with an FID Card, as well as additional weapons depending on the Class of License.

Where do I apply for a License to Carry (LTC) or a Firearms Identification (FID) Card?

Generally, application is made to the local police department where the applicant resides or has a place of business. For more specific information on FIDs refer to M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD129B, or for LTCs refer to %uFFFD131(d).

I am changing my address. Who do I notify?

Under M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD129B(10), and %uFFFD131(l), a holder of an FID Card or an LTC must notify, in writing, the licensing authority that issued the Card or License, the chief of police into whose jurisdiction the Card or License holder moves, and the Executive Director of the CHSB. The notice must be made by certified mail within 30 days of its occurrence.

How many guns a year can a person sell without being a dealer?

Under M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD128A, a properly licensed resident who is not a dealer may sell up to four guns in any one calendar year through a private transfer of ownership.

Should a special form be used when selling guns through a private sale?

The state form required for private sales is an FA10 Form. The FA10 replaced what was known as the “Blue Card” previously used for private sales. This is essentially the same form used by dealers except that instructions are included with each private sale form. This form can be obtained from any police department. The seller must fill out the form and forward it to the Firearms Record Bureau (FRB) within seven days of the transaction.

Do weapons purchased by Massachusetts residents while in another state have to be reported in Massachusetts?

M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD128B, residents who purchase from someone other than a Massachusetts dealer, either within or outside the Commonwealth, must report the purchase within seven days to the FRB. The FA10 form, which can be obtained from any police department, is the simplest way to make such a report.

Can a Massachusetts resident sell a gun without being a licensed dealer?

Yes. Under M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD128A, a Massachusetts resident may sell a gun provided that he lawfully possesses it with an appropriate FID Card or LTC, or is otherwise exempt, and that the person buying the gun is also properly licensed with the appropriate FID Card or LTC (depending on the type of gun being bought).

Should all weapons sold within the Commonwealth be equipped with a safety lock?

M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD131K states that all sales of firearms and large capacity weapons in Massachusetts MUST include a safety device approved by the colonel of state police. This requirement applies to any seller including a wholesaler. The seller is not required to install the device so long as the weapon is accompanied by it. Failure to comply with this provision will constitute a breach of warranty and an unfair trade practice. This section does not apply to non-large capacity rifles and shotguns.

If an individual buys a handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun from a dealer, can he supply his own trigger lock to avoid paying for a new one from the dealer?

No. M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD131K states that a state approved safety device must be sold with the weapon. This places the burden on the dealer to provide the safety device and does not allow the dealer an option of letting the purchaser provide a trigger lock.

Are state-approved trigger locks required any time a trigger lock is used?

No. State-approved trigger locks are only required under the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD131K which applies to dealers who provide them with handguns and large capacity rifles and shotguns that they sell. State-approved trigger locks are not required in any other section of chapter 140. However, most common trigger locks that would be used to help the gun owner comply with section 131L are likely to be state approved even though that approval is not required

How do I transport a gun in my vehicle?

A person with a Class “A” LTC may transport a handgun loaded or unloaded on his person or under his direct control in the vehicle. If the handgun is not under his direct control, it must be unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container.

A person with a Class “B” LTC must transport handguns unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. All persons transporting large capacity rifles and shotguns must transport them unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container. Trigger locks do not meet the requirements of securing a weapon during transport in motor vehicle.

For more specific information see M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD131C.

Do I need to lock my non-large capacity rifles and shotguns in a case while transporting them in a vehicle?

No. They must be transported unloaded, but are not required to be in a locked case while transporting.

Can I leave my gun in my car if I need to go into the store on my way home from the range or from hunting?

If your handgun or large capacity rifle or shotgun is transported in accordance with the provisions of M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD131C (i.e. unloaded and in a locked case, locked trunk or other secure container) then the gun may be left unattended in the vehicle. Weapons transported in this manner will automatically be considered “stored or kept” in compliance with the safe storage requirements of %uFFFD131L.

A person leaving a non-large capacity rifle or shotgun in an unattended vehicle is required to lock the rifle or shotgun in a case/container or in the trunk, or install a mechanical locking device on the weapon (i.e. cable or trigger lock).

Can an individual who is the subject of a restraining order, seek to have the judge remove the surrender portion of the restraining order with regards to weapons permits so that he/she can possess a weapon?

Previously, the surrender order could be lifted by the judge, pursuant to M.G.L. c. 209A, %uFFFD3C, and guns and permits could be returned even though the restraining order remained in effect. Under recent changes in M.G.L. c. 140, %uFFFD%uFFFD129B and 131, the suspension and surrender of a defendant’s FID Card or LTC must continue as long as the underlying restraining order is in effect.