Application Processing Guidelines Effective for March 2024
Starting in March of 2024, The Revere Police department will be returning to in person interviews for New LTC applicants. All those interested in applying need to fill out an application and obtain several required documents. Once all items are in order, we can schedule an interview with you. Incomplete applications will not be processed and will be mailed back to the applicant.
The required documents are as follows:
- Massachusetts LTC application – can be downloaded from the following link:
- Copy of Birth Certificate or Passport
- Copy of any Nationalization paperwork (if applicable)
- Copy of your Massachusetts Basic Firearms Safety Certificate
- Only exception to the safety certificate is if you are CURRENT active duty military or National Guard. If so, please include a copy of your current military ID.
- Copy of either a voter registration card or copies of 2 pieces of mail that have been sent to your home – DO INCLUDE ENTIRE BILLS, JUST COVER PAGE WITH YOUR NAME AND ADDRESS
- 3 Letters of reference – Letters must include the name, address, and phone number of the person who wrote it, how long they have known you, and that they understand the recommendation is regarding your application for a firearms permit.
- $100 Check or Money Order made out to the City of Revere.
NOTE: On the Mass LTC application it states that the social security number is optional, that is incorrect, we need that number in order to process certain aspects of your background check.
Furthermore: BE SURE TO INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS SOMEWHERE AT THE TOP OF THE FRONT PAGE OF THE APPLICATION. This will make it easier for us to contact you if we have follow up questions
Once you have the above listed items along with the application, you can schedule an interview by emailing Ofc. Anthony Matos at [email protected]. He will get back to with available times for your interview. He can also be reached at 781-656-1134.
THE REVERE POLICE DEPARTMENT DOES NOT ACCEPT RENEWAL APPLICATIONS UNTIL YOU ARE WITHIN 3 MONTHS OF EXPIRING.
The required documents are as follows:
- Massachusetts LTC application – Complete entire application with the exception of the references section, you can leave that blank. Be sure to Sign and Date.
- DO NOT FORGET TO FILL OUT AND SIGN PAGE 4 OF THE APPLICATION as well
- $100 Check or Money Order made out to the City of Revere
- Renewal applicants 70 years of age or older are free so DO NOT include the check if that is the case.
NOTE: INCLUDE YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS SOMEWHERE AT THE TOP OF THE FIRST PAGE
If your LTC/FID is within 2 weeks of expiring, email Ofc. Matos before you expire so he can see about putting a hold on your expiration date.
If you are already expired, the process to renew is the same as if you were active, send in your application and payment as directed above.
Once you have your application and fee ready, you can either drop it off at the station or mail it to:
Revere Police Department
Attn: Firearms Licensing Office
400 Revere Beach Parkway
Revere, MA 02151
NOTE: At this time, we do not need to meet you in person for an LTC/FID renewal. Just drop off your application and we will process it and send you back your new card within a few weeks. If there is an issue, we will reach out to you.
PAST OFFENSES AND ISSUES WITH QUESTION 4 ON APPLICATION:
On page 2 of the application on Question 4, it asks: “Have you ever been arrested or appeared in court as a defendant for any criminal offense.” This question commonly creates issues for applicants. It does not matter if your case was dismissed, if you were a juvenile when it happened, if the charge was sealed, or if someone told you that you did not have to admit to that. Criminal record databases are very detailed and regardless of the final resolution in court, the charge will still appear on your record for life. It is best to be forthcoming in your application and check YES to question 4 if you at all meet the criteria in Question 4. Admitting to Question 4 in no way means you will not be given a permit, it just makes the background check process easier for you.
RENEWAL APPLICANTS: Be sure to answer question 4 truthfully, even if your charges had already been vetted during your initial application process. Even with a renewal, if question 4 is not answered correctly, it can delay your renewal.
The RPD will seek to process your application as quickly as possible but as of January 2023, we are still currently operating at approx. 2 months between receiving the application and approval or denial. Upon an Approval being sent to the State for printing, it can take approx. 3 to 6 weeks to receive that LTC/FID card back so we can activate it. Once we active the card, we then send it in the mail to you at the address listed on your application. If there are criminal matters in your background that need to be reviewed, the process will inherently take longer. If you do have a criminal matter in your past, it can significantly speed up the process if you include with your application, a copy of the original Police report from the charge as well as a copy of the Court Docket concerning the case in question if it was a court matter.